Friday, August 14, 2009

Greetings from the Asylum

I wrote this poem with my best friend, Kim.

Greetings from the asylum,
Where many crazies have sat and waited,
Anticipating something unknown,
Continuously sedated.

The white walls and sterile surroundings
Are enough to drive anyone mad,
But as long as meds are on time,
No one’s ever sad.

The nurses in their squeaky shoes
Will give us friendly smiles,
While really they’re just trying
To find something to put in our files.

I have so many therapists
That I don’t even know their names.
I lay on their worn couches
While I'm forced to play mind games.

We’re all taught how to reprogram,
How to fix a damaged mind.
Therapeutically restored,
We become a new kind.

For now I’ll stand in line,
And wait for my next pill.
We all just want to leave,
But some of us never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment